Welcome on board, or 11 must-do things in Kyiv must-see places
When you want to explore a new city, you usually set up possible directions, look for locations and things to do that will breathe you with city’s spirit, give you its initial sense and mood. There is a huge number of such variants. As Gloss.ua we are happy to offer our selection – for those who want to discover Kyiv, the legendary Slavic City.
Cycle city tours.
It’s one of the best ways to get known the ancient city better. You will hear the most interesting facts from Kyiv’s history and everyday life. And, if you are in a small group, you are free to stop wherever you like – to see closer something interesting. Kyiv is located on 7 hills, so don´t worry – you can miss your training plan this weekend!
Kyiv National Museum of Russian Art/ Khanenko Art Museum
Two art museums of a world scale are perfectly located side by side on one small street. Kyiv National Museum of Russian Art will impress you with paintings of Vasnetsov, Shyshkin, Vroobel and many other masterpieces of prominent ex-USSR artists. Be sure you’d like to stay in the museum until the closing hours. Khanenko Art Museum presents a collection of international art masterpieces that was founded by famous family of Kyiv art patrons.
Ethnographical museum Pyrogovo and arboretum Mamayeva Sloboda both present the visitors the history of Kievan Russ in a different and unusual ways. You’ll experience the ancient traditions & culture of Ukrainians from different regions, have a walk in fresh air, take part in traditional outdoor festivals and get ready to meet the real Ukrainian hospitality!
Seeing without doing something by yourself is less interesting way of city’s discovery. Take part in master-classes of authentic art and handcrafts, which were popular in Ukraine during its history and still are. There is a variety of options among which you can select – culinary master-classes, Petrykivska painting, traditional ceramics, making of a motanka-doll, Pysanka painting. A true selection of activities for every one!
Wants to refresh yourself from the city dust? Kyiv can offer you 2 indoor water parks, which will cheer you up for new discoveries. “The Lost World” inspired by the Spielberg’s legendary movie or ocean depths with plenty of breath-taking attractions – it’s you who decide what to choose. Both water parks are located in big malls and you always can combine active leisure with shopping!
Patties snack bar
Being new in city motivate you to search for real non-touristic local venues. We know them and give you a hint. “Yaroslava” patties snack bar is one of them. Here is the best patties in Kyiv for any occasion – fresh-baked, piping hot with different fillings and tastes. In summer the sparrows are in a line for breadcrumbs in the terrace, so be aware!
National Opera House of Ukraine
Hungry for live drama? Theatre, opera, ballet are in 5 mins walking distance. Repertoire of the L. Ukrainka Russian Drama theatre offers a wide range of performances – from classic ones – to the easy comic plays by modern authors. National Opera of Ukraine, a beautiful pearl in the historical center, is almost next to the theatre, across the street.
This year will open the 146-th season. Amazing play of opera’s, orchestras and ballet’s artists always attracts huge audience. Plan your visit here and you won’t be disappointed!
Chess battles in Shevchenko park
To find out the latest social important gossips and opinions, hear hot debates about politics and politicians or participate in the simultaneous chess play, go straight to the Shevchenko park that is located across the street from the main city’s University. As a rival, you can face both an amateur and a professional player here. The lovers of an intellectual sport of all ages are here, in the park. If you are not good in chess, it’s possible to find a co-player in backgammon. There is a well nearby; outdoor cafes and finest ice cream are also at your disposal.
Bungee to the Island
You have a chance to see Kyiv bird’s eye panorama flying 600 m by our own from one bank of Dnipro to another, but be ready for the long lines, especially during the summer time. The attraction working hours are 12:00-22:00. If you are not the Brave Heart, don’t worry: even watching is breathtaking enough!
Walking Lavra excursions
This venue never will become ordinary or boring. One of the most ancient world symbols of Christianity will not only show its signed architecture, but also will let you slip into hermit monks’ life – away from the ordinary ones. The sightseeing around mini inner city will calm you down, order your thoughts and redirect yourself into а peaceful mood. There’s a place to have a snack inside the complex – Le Coupole café, and here is the best cacao in town.
Dinner in the sky
If you have seen and done everything that was planned before in Kyiv, you’d better make a surprise for yourself. The “Dinner in the sky” service is a chance to have dinner on 50-meter height above the night lights. And, believe us, pictures made here (even by your iPhone), you will not erase for a long time! Have a spectacular evening!
- 12:08 Стало известно, будет ли Кличко вновь баллотироваться на пост мэра 4
- 11:30 На Троещине сгорел хостел: пострадали люди 17
- 11:00 В Украине вырастут цены на ж/д билеты: когда и на сколько 32
- 10:34 Началась распродажа авиабилетов из Киева в Канаду и США 184
- 10:17 В Киеве открылось авокадо-кафе 558
- 10:10 Киев вошел в список самых дорогих городов мира 110
- 17:00 В Киеве утвердили проект строительства метро на Виноградарь 319
- 16:00 Ryanair согласовал все рейсы с "Борисполем": расписание 1170
- 15:00 Кличко открыл вторую очередь парка «Наталка». Фото 367
- 14:10 В Киеве создадут Национальный теннисный центр 130
- 13:00 Названы самые непунктуальные украинские авиакомпании: рейтинг 419
- 12:30 Стало известно, сколько украинцев путешествует в Европу на отечественных поездах 177
- 12:00 В Киеве проведут бесплатную экскурсию по маршруту «Круг Подола» 202
- 11:30 Стало известно, когда откроют памятник Илье Муромцу 112
- 11:17 Продолжение фильма «Сплит»: появились первые кадры 506
- 11:00 На одной из улиц в Киеве появилась масштабная инсталляция. Фото 317
- 10:30 Киевлян зовут бесплатно посмотреть скачки и покататься на лошадях 244
- 10:19 Жителей столицы предупредили о грозе 427
- 17:00 Киеврада утвердила детальный план территории в Печерском районе 364
- 16:00 В киевских маршрутках тоже повышают цены 1163
- 15:00 На столичном озере массово гибнут птицы. Фото 375